24.10.10

Home inspired Part ONE.

My house looks something like this right now...a little boring after a year.

If you follow me on twitter, you probably would know that at the moment, I'm feeling extremely inspired to re-decorate my home. I live in a very sweet 100+ year old house and at the moment, the colour palette is extremely luxurious at a minimalistic level. I'm not a fan of clutter although I seriously admire people's vintage shabby chic places with a wall full of unique photographs and frames along with elements of countless ritzy cushions, a turkish rug, a wall full of clocks and ten candles later...not to forget the countless sequinned shawls and throws hanging dishevelled over a velvet couch. Kudos to the effort but if that was my house, I'd feel it was over the top and a tad messy which it probably already is.

When it comes to my place right now, just imagine crisp champagne walls, antique decorative ceiling plaster and beautiful vintage chandeliers along with vanilla candles which add that little pizazz in what was originally an unliveable house. Add a gazillion dusty fashion coffee table books which sit politely on a Japanese black wood coffee table and a beautifully tarnished timber floor, it sounds extremely beautiful but the realisation has hit me (a year later), I'm stuck in an interior decorating rut.

I've lived in my place for a while and nothing has really changed. I'll try my best to innovate a certain drawer or add a unique statue but really, it's so subtle I'm probably better off without these little intricacies. I need a more extreme (but chic) solution where buying ONE item is more practical and of more value and jazzing it up with 50 or so little bits and pieces. I've always wanted to be a bit more fashion-y. As in, I figured I'm in desperate need of some iconic zig zag Missoni print cushions and arty floral poufs as well as a beautiful zebra rug. Other things I need include a beautiful vintage lamp (1920's flapper-esque preferably), a line of antique French milk bottles with lots of peonies, ornamental and oriental fan, an inky glamorous abstract piece of artwork and finally, a tea tray filled with Lady Gaga-esque tea cups.

Ultimately, I'm going for 1920's Great Gatsby meets Holly Golightly meets Upper East Side matriarch with a touch of exuberance and sheer decorative craziness. In this case less is more.When it's complete, I'll be sure to fill up a Lady Gaga tea-cup and sit around staring at the final masterpiece (or interior decorating mess?). I will post pictures along the way, so you can enjoy the view from my side of the house.

I will be sure to call Ms Chapman's interior decorator next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment