9.10.10

Online Shopping Madness.


People ask why I enjoy luxury shoe shopping, I always wonder...what's not to love?

With the Australian currency at an all time high in comparison to the U.S dollar (AUD0.99 to US$1), it comes at no surprise that people are going insane for any form of online shopping. I recently spent $185AUD at the M.A.C cosmetics counter at department store, David Jones, buying their latest range of make up. This was prior to any extreme currency fluctuations and increases and after checking the US website, I could’ve saved an incredible amount of money if I was patient enough to get the exact products via the website. Lucky for me, most of the products I liked on the site were sold out but just the thought of getting things at US prices (when once upon a time, it was double the Australian dollar) seems too good to resist.

At the moment, I just love the idea of online shopping for designer heels. After spotting gorgeous YSL gold tribute sandals and SJP’s Nicholas Kirkwood sculptural platforms, I’m having serious luxury shoe withdrawals and I’m dying to get my hands onto them. Never has shoe shopping looked so much more desirable and thanks to US department stores (Saks Fifth Avenue and Barney’s New York to name a few) with their online stores along with other more established luxury sites (Net-a-Porter, Browns and Luisa Via Roma anyone?) and huge range of products, it makes local department stores in Sydney look like overpriced outlets.

However, the only REAL reason I love to check out the websites (before this currency exchange madness) is because the online world has always been so ahead of the time. I mean, if Chanel came up with a limited edition range of handbags, I’m more likely to find that out (prices, product range etc) on the Internet as opposed to my local Chanel boutique. Through checking out what I thought was amazing online, can I mentally and physically prepare myself to make the walk to the actual store with the intention of purchasing exactly what I wanted without any lay-by options and embarrassing bank card rejections.

Obviously online shopping is not the same as perusing the shoe racks and feeling (and smelling) the divine Italian leather before trying on the perfect heel effortlessly, admiring your pins in the ultimate pair heels before a classic sales lady ‘ooh’s and ‘ahh’s appropriately as you strut to the counter to make your oh-so-expensive purchase. Has a fast paced world of convenience reduced shopping to mere clicks in ones pyjamas as we glue ourselves to the financial news in search of the latest currency fluctuations? If that’s all online shopping is about…I’m not sure if I truly want it.

Sometimes the fun in shopping is the ability to try things on with your best girlfriends, discussing love lives, relationships and friendships as you drape yourself on tailored salmon pink couches in a (flattering) dim-gold light as a pianist plays a compilation of classic pieces. But with the currency rate is as it is, I guess its time to forget the calamity of department stores, the real shopping action is happening online and it’s happening now. And the last thing I want to do is miss out.

I'll have what she's having...online style?

XO LC.

No comments:

Post a Comment